Saturday 7 October 2017

Gospel Operation International Day Camp


I’ve never had a week as full of church activities as this week. After the long weekend at the church camp, there was a talk on team ministry/leadership on Wednesday, a lesson on pastoral visitation and care on Thursday, helping out with a university student alpha course group on Friday, and a day camp by Gospel Operation International (GOI, a missions organisation… coincidentally the pronunciation of the Chinese name of this organisation sounds the same as “rowing the boat”) on Saturday.

I had to ask my workplace for permission to take time off three months prior to this because Saturday is the busiest day in the clinic. The location of the day camp is only five minutes’ drive from my home. I didn’t realise the national park next to my home is so great: During the camp, a Kookaburra knocked at our door, and a turkey accidentally entered into the room!

Rev. Martin Lau shared with us about how the love story in Song of Songs can also be used to describe the love story between Christ and us. During the missions workshop, he played a missions video which I saw quite a few time last year. My eyes became very watery right at the beginning of the video (so this could only be something from God, because I am rather stoic). He even told us that there will be a one-month long missions trip to Dubai, Uganda and Israel at the end of next year!

This camp helped me understand how missions organisations support missionaries. It is a great gathering where we got to meet brothers and sisters with a heart for missions from various different churches. The games were also very interesting. There was a balloon game where we are each given a balloon to write our life mission, and I wrote the Great Commission. We were asked to throw the balloon and keep it up in the air for one minute, which was easy. Then they started throwing other balloons in and asked us to keep both our missions balloon and the additional balloons all up in the air. Most of us were more focused on our own balloons than the new balloons. The new balloons had words like family, academics, exercise, etc. I found that in real life, I do the opposite: I am probably more focused on balancing those other things than on the Great Commission! Then we were asked to think about what are some of the ways we can keep more balloons up, and people suggested being more supportive of each other and helping with other people’s balloons when we see their missions balloons falling.


The next game was even more exciting. People had to hold on to some metal bars and let a person walk over the bars to reach a map, for that person to be able to stick his/her missions balloons onto the map. This requires very strong teamwork and trust of each other. So, although God gave each person an individual calling, everyone needs support from others to reach the destination of their individual calling. When I got to the map and prepared to stick my balloon to the middle east, I didn’t see there was another tape which became stuck to my balloon. I decided to take a risk and try to remove that tape, and the balloon exploded! This made me realise that front line missions work is very dangerous! Every decision could involve “life or death”!



The final game was the “road signs” game. We are to pick two road signs, one representing our relationship with God, the other representing our own status in ministry. Instinctively I picked “keep right” and “yield”: Try to do the right thing in God’s eyes and keep the right relationship with God, yield (submit) to God. I took a third sign, “no turning back”, because I believe that once we start following God, there’s no turning back.  


No comments:

Post a Comment