Wednesday 11 October 2017

Why have I chosen to be a Baptist?


This is a reflection on why I have chosen to be a Baptist and what this contributes to my spiritual life and ministry. It is through a series of providences that I became a student in a Baptist seminary and ended up in the Baptist church I am currently doing my field education in. This led me into furtherer exploration about what a Baptist identity entails. Meanwhile, it is also a time where I am experiencing the greatest amounts of breakthroughs in my spiritual life and ministry.

In May 2013, my father suddenly passed away. I was disappointed to realise that despite having been actively involved in the nondenominational[1] church I was attending at that time, I went through most of the grieving process alone. This made me realise that only God is dependable and installed in me a strong desire to build a stronger foundation in the Scriptures. After praying about studying in the seminary, multiple affirmations appeared, so I enrolled to study part-time at Morling College, the closest seminary to my home. As I did vast researches for the various assignments at Morling College, I began to realise that the knowledge I was receiving from the church I was attending was mostly digested material by others.

At one point, the pastors began using Scripture to promote the church model they were using at that time and implied that people who were not supportive of the model and church leadership were disobedient to God. In one sermon, the story of Korah was used to demonstrate this point. Those promoted to leadership roles were good managers but not necessarily spiritually mature.[2] By 2015, many who faced bottlenecks when they tried to communicate to leadership about the problems in the church had left the church. I received no face-to-face mentoring and had no opportunities for leadership roles[3], so I had difficulty integrating my learning at Morling into ministry.

Towards the end of 2015, I went on a trip to Israel and there were an unusually high number of Baptist ministers in the tour group. I felt a strong burden for Israel, saw supernatural signs there and wondered if God could be calling me to cross-cultural missions. In 2016, church leadership thought the church model was not working and started heavily promoting the apostolic model. Instead of turning people’s hearts towards God, they focused on the “wonders of the new model”.[4] So I prayed for God to open a door for me to get more practical experience and found a Baptist church for my field education. I received mentoring and bottlenecks began unblocking. I started to grasp the concept of discipleship and began practicing spiritual disciplines more consistently.

In July 2017, I chose the subject “Baptist Distinctives” to explore whether there is a calling for me in the Baptist setting. Coincidentally the church pastor from a different congregation of the same Baptist church accidentally emailed me a church membership application form. Meanwhile, I began finding myself in strong agreement with the Baptist principles of the freedom of conscience, authority from the Scripture, the Lordship of Christ, priesthood of all believers, democratic church governance, and an intentional formation of community in the discipleship process. Furthermore, I am impressed by the Baptist emphasis on missions because many churches have already lost this focus.[5]

For more details on what a Baptist identity entails, please see:


[1] The church displays characteristics of the Pentecostal denomination.
[2] Several enthusiastic new believers who made good managers were promoted to pastoral leadership roles by existing leaders.
[3] Opportunities for me only existed in task orientated roles, eg. Translation.
[4] The church model was not the problem or solution. Despite sermons trying to fire people up about revival and church planting, there was a lack of depth: action-packed does not equal discipleship.
[5] The Baptist church I am attending now has more experience in mentoring seminary students and supporting missions. It may potentially become the “sending church” for me if I become a missionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment