Thursday 19 March 2015

Weekly reflection on “The Good and Beautiful God” Chapter 5 God is Love



Notes from the book:

Many people live with the assumption that God’s love is conditional. Our behaviour, it’s assumed, determines how God feels about us. Early on in our live we discover that the world we live in is based on performance: some of the first words we learn are good and bad. We hear things like “you ate all of your peas, good girl” or “do not write on the wall with your crayon, bad boy”[1]. Jesus not only revealed the Father in his stories, he reflects the Father in his character and his actions.

In the story of Matthew the tax collector and the Pharisees (Matthew 9:9-13), Jesus invites Matthew to be one of his disciples. The tax collectors were thought of as traitors and cheats as they collected tax from the Jewish people for the Roman government and were notorious for skimming money off the top for themselves. This is amazing, considering that in the first century, a rabbi was usually very selective when choosing his disciples. Being selected by a rabbi was a rare and great privilege that was offered only to those who were deemed especially righteous. The Pharisees, a group of strict religious men, criticised Jesus for eating with sinners[2]. In reality the Pharisees are just as sick and sinful as the tax collectors; they just fail to admit it. The tax collectors, on the other hand, have no pretense. Jesus’ narrative of unconditional acceptance goes against the grain of the performance-based-acceptance narrative that is so deeply embedded in our lives. People may wonder how could God possibly love sinners, and that he might be able to love them if they promise to improve. But this is not what Jesus taught. In Jesus’ actions and words, he proclaimed that God loves sinners as they are, and not as they should be[3].

The story of the prodigal son also illustrates this (Luke 15:11-32). God, it appears, is very fond of sinners. Not their sin. The parable is not so much about a sinner getting saved as it is about a God who loves even those who sin against him[4]. Interestingly, the prodigal son’s elder brother's problem represents the upright and pious who could not accept the radical message of God’s unconditional love[5]. This is similar to the parable of the workers in the vineyard who worked different amounts for the same wage. Jesus is striking at the heart of the problem we have with grace: we don’t like it. It seems unfair, but in reality it is perfectly fair. God is gracious to all. It smacks against our performance-based-acceptance narrative. Our self-righteousness separates us from God: it does not turn God from us, but us from God. It is not my sin that moves me away from God, it is my refusal of grace, both for myself and for others. Jesus is essentially saying to the Pharisees, “when you see the tax collectors, the prostitutes and other known sinners coming to me, you should rejoice: they were dead and now are alive. Instead, you grumble.”[6]


Reflections:

The author writes, “Our self-righteousness does not turn God from us, but us from God. It is not my sin that moves me away from God, it is my refusal of grace, both for myself and for others”[7].

This is a very interesting statement. When new believers make a prayer to accept Jesus as saviour, it involves the confession of sins, as sin separates us from God. Yet the author says “it is not my sin that moves me away from God”.

I think it is a “which comes first, chicken or the egg?” type of scenario. I believe that if a person is close to God, they are less likely to want to sin. After all, our behaviour reflects the status of our hearts. So I believe a person who continually sins is someone who’s quite distant from God.

However, a person who does not commit an act of sin is not necessarily free of sin, as one can still be full of sinful thoughts. Sometimes a person may be so proud of their good behaviour that their pride blinds them from seeing their own sins. Take my own example: I was a well behaved teen, and my parents tend to label “that kid is a bad kid that kid is a good kid” etc., so I tended to see the world as black and white. I thought of myself as “good” and jeer at those who I thought was “bad”. I got into medical school and thought I deserved what I got for my hard work.

As I mature, I started to realise that none of these were to my own credit. After all, everyone is born with a different set of cards: Some received a very good set, being born in a rich family, talented, good looking and intelligent. Some received a very bad set, in poverty and handicapped. And even if say I was lucky and had an extremely good set of cards when I was born, it is nothing to get too arrogant about because it is not even to my own merit, since no one can choose what set of cards they are born with. I know this in my mind conceptually but sometimes my heart still finds it hard to accept when grace[8] falls upon people who behaved wickedly or lived their life in sloth. Nevertheless, this narrative helps increase my tolerance of God’s unconditional love and graciousness for all, and I pray that God continue to expand my heart’s tolerance capacity.


Bibliography:

Smith, James Bryan. The Good and Beautiful God. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 2010.




[1] James Bryan Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 2010): 94.
[2] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 97.
[3] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 98.
[4] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 99.
[5] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 101.
[6] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 102.
[7] James Bryan Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 2010): 77.
[8] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 102.

Coincidentally my assignment for another Morling College subject NT501 is on the Pharisees.
Below is a video with more information on Pharisaism and Jesus' ministry:
https://youtu.be/u8vakyahAUk


No comments:

Post a Comment