Sunday 29 March 2015

Personal Life Reflection

Abstract:

In this personal life reflection, I looked back at three significant experiences which have impacted my ministry formation to this point of time. The first major formative event was the break-up of an on and off long distance relationship which made me turn towards God and taught me how to forgive and heal. My second major formative event was a renewal of my spirit during a low point in my life which led to a transformation and pointed me towards a career of my calling which gave me increasing self-awareness and linked me up with the local community. My third major formative event was the sudden passing away of my father which shifted my focus from task orientation to relationship orientation. My career and my personality preferences are a good fit. I believe my calling is in career missions. Whenever appropriate, I can incorporate my own experiences and testimonies into the conversation in my work place. I will also consider participating in medical missions.

 ____________

My parents got married after dating each other for six months. Soon after marriage that they realised each other’s flaws, which they had so carefully hidden during their courtship. This marked the beginnings of a rocky marriage. My mother’s career as a diplomat probably prevented their marriage from ending in divorce: the less they see each other, the less friction! I was born in 1983. When I was eight, I moved to the United States where I accepted Jesus as my saviour. In my teenage years I drifted away from God. Then through some providences I returned to God. Subsequently I got into medical school but did not attend church because I thought having salvation was enough.

The break-up of an on and off long distance relationship in 2006 was my first major formative event. Long distance relationships lacked frictions. Only after the break up did I realise I had idealised that person so much I turned him into an idol. It also made me realise that sharing a common short-term goal can only tie two people until the accomplishment of that goal. For two people to be together for a lifetime, there needs to be common values and direction in life. This break-up made me turn to God again. Through God’s power I learned how to forgive and heal.

My second major formative event was in 2008, where I made a decision to commit myself to attending and serving in one church. It was a low point in my life. I was a resident doctor in career crisis: I knew clearly what specialties I did not want to do, but had no idea what specialties I wanted to do. I did not think I will have any chance of getting a boyfriend if I continue the same lifestyle working in the hospital. I felt stuck and was pessimistic, with a heavy weight on the top of my head constantly. If God had not intervened, I would have become clinically depressed. Fortunately it was during a church camp that I suddenly felt such a strong presence of God’s Spirit amongst me that it filled me with joy and all the heaviness on the top of my head lifted off. Such a transformation occurred in me that I burned with passion for God and no longer felt so disgruntled against my parents. Subsequently, my mother, who was quite critical of my faith, accepted Jesus as her saviour!

I ended up choosing a career in General Practice and enjoyed it very much. I learned a lot about myself through serving in my church and my everyday exposure to the community as a GP. With increasing self-awareness, I had a clearer sense of direction. I was also better able to identify my strengths and weaknesses, as well as how I function cognitively. I also became familiar with the local community and have the resources to assist my church in outreaching to the community.

My third major formative event was the sudden passing away of my father in 2013 from a heart attack. I received an emergency call that my father had been admitted into the hospital with a heart attack in Taiwan. My church pastors interceded for him and I immediately flew overseas. All seemed to have gone smoothly in hospital and he was discharged: luckily he did a prayer to accept Jesus that day, because two days later he passed away suddenly! My emotional garbage can exploded and I realised I had been suppressing many of my emotions into my subconsciousness for most of my life. The good thing was that my faith gave me resilience and I still trusted God[1].

However, this event made me revaluate my relationship with my father and realise the shallowness of it. My father had been a stoic person who didn’t share his thoughts. Our communications tended to be task-orientated. It was a pity I never truly gotten to know him. I did not give him the time and patience needed to establish a deeper relationship or look out for the nonverbal communications. This event made me slow my pace down and treasure my interpersonal relationships more. My focus started shifting onto building relationships, especially the relationship with my mother, which subsequently led to her baptism. This event also made me reflect on the brevity of life and triggered a sense of urgency to better equip myself for God’s calling, so I decide to study the Master of Divinity.

A Christian leader is a person with God-given capacity and God-given responsibility who is influencing a specific group of God's people toward God's purposes.[2] I have worked as a GP for several years in Eastwood and many of my regular patients are Chinese migrants. I generally enjoy the interaction and would like to positively influence and direct them towards God.

My Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) result is Introversion, Intuition, Thinking, Judging (INTJ)[3]. This is consistent across my previous MBTI results, self-assessment in class, MBTI instrument result, and “Best Fit” type.[4] This result is consistent with my natural preferences as I tend to be self-reflective, analyse the world through observing patterns and meanings, make decisions objectively, and prefer to plan things ahead of time over last minute changes. I think these traits are well compatible with my job as a GP. However, Jesus seem to display both of the preferences of each dichotomy[5], so we should not use our preference as an excuse to not participate in something.

According to Clinton’s six phases of leadership[6], I am at Phase III, where I know my strengths and am shifting my focus on building relationships. Being introverted, I prefer evangelising to people who I have ongoing relationship with, such as my regular patients. I believe my calling is in career missions. Whenever I identify a suitable patient, I can incorporate my own experiences and testimonies into the conversation, and will also consider participating in medical missions.


Bibliography:


Baab, Lynne M. Personality Type in Congregations: How to Work with Others More Effectively.  Bethesda, Md.: Alban Institute, 1998.

Clinton, J. Robert. The Emerging Leader. Colorado Springs: Barnabas Publishers, 1989. 

Kent, Gayle. “Introduction to MBTI.” Lecture Notes, Morling College. March 19, 2015. 

Kent, Gayle. “Activities for Applying Type.” Lecture Notes, Morling College. March 26, 2015. 

Myers, Isabel Briggs, Linda K. Kirby, and Katharine D. Myers. Introduction to Type: A Guide to Understanding Your Results on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. 6th ed. Parkville, VIC: Consulting Psychologists Press Asia Pacific, 1998.

Myers, Isabel Briggs, and Peter B. Myers. Gifts Differing.  Mountain View, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press, 1995.

Reeves, Nancy Christine. Spirituality for Extroverts: And Tips for Those Who Love Them. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2008.

Smith, James Bryan. The Good and Beautiful God. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 2010.

Stadler, Anita. “Leadership Emergence Theory in the Corporate Context”, International Journal of Leadership Studies, 5 (2009): 115-122. 

The Myers & Briggs Foundation. "Preference You Tend to Show."  http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/understanding-mbti-type-dynamics/preference-you-tend-to-show.htm.

———. "Understanding Mbti® Type Dynamics."  http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/understanding-mbti-type-dynamics/.



[1] James Bryan Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 2010), 65.
[2] J. Robert Clinton, The Emerging Leader. (Colorado Springs: Barnabas Publishers, 1989), 1.
[3] Isabel Briggs Myers, Linda K. Kirby, and Katharine D. Myers. Introduction to Type: A Guide to Understanding Your Results on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, (Parkville, VIC: Consulting Psychologists Press Asia Pacific, 1998), 15. We all use both sides of the dichotomies, but one is our natural preference.
[4] Gayle Kent, “Introduction to MBTI,” (Lecture Notes, Morling College. March 19, 2015), 30-31.
[5] Gayle Kent, “Activities for Applying Type,” (Lecture Notes, Morling College. March 26, 2015), 23.
[6] Anita Stadler, “Leadership Emergence Theory in the Corporate Context”, International Journal of Leadership Studies, 5 (2009): 117.

No comments:

Post a Comment