Friday 6 March 2015

Weekly reflection on “The Good and Beautiful God” Chapter 3 God is Trustworthy






Notes from the book:




To trust someone is to believe that he or she has your best interests in mind, that the person will protect you from harm and is reliable[1]. God as Abba: Abba is best translated “Dear Father.” As New Testament scholar C.F.D. Moule notes, “The intimate word conveys not a casual sort of familiarity but the deepest, most trustful reverence. In Mark 14:36 Jesus prays “Abba, Father, for you all things are possible; remove this cup from me; yet, not what I want, but what you want”. In the moment of his deepest suffering, Jesus trusted in his heavenly father[2].




Many people have been deeply wounded by their biological father and this makes thinking about God as Father very difficult. The solution is not to abandon the term father but to let Jesus define it[3].


This can be defined through the Lord’s Prayer in Matthew 6:9-13. First we learn that God is near: in Jewish cosmology heaven did not refer to a place that is far away. Heaven referred to the surrounding atmosphere, the very air they breathed; therefore God is present[4]. “Hallowed be your name”: God is holy and pure. “Your kingdom come”: God is the King who rules heaven and is powerful. “Give us… our daily bread”: God cares for us and provides. God forgives our trespasses and pardons us. God rescues us from trials and evils and is our protector. These attributes provide strong images of who God is and what fatherhood means[5].


The author admits that even though he tries his best to be a good father, he often fails. People around him may rate him as a decent father but he is well aware of his own deficiency. His point is that God’s fatherhood must define what human fatherhood ought to look like, and not the reverse. The way God is Father to him teaches him how to be a good father to his children[6].


The God that Jesus reveals is not only a perfect reflection of what fatherhood ought to be but motherhood as well. Sometimes we think of fathers as strong and stern providers, and mothers as gentle and meek supporters. But in Jesus’ description of the Father above, we see a perfect balance of all of these characteristics[7].


Jesus asked his Abba to remove his “cut” from him. The cup represents the things that are forced on us in life. We all must ask, what is my “cup”? What aspect of your life makes it difficult for you to trust God? Relationship breakdown? Death of a loved one? Death of a dream? Loss of a business? Loss of some physical capacity? A “cup” is anything that we struggle with accepting as our lot in life. And our cup is usually the thing that makes it difficult to believe God is good[8].


The author describes his story of how he took his son to an amusement park and got on a very scary ride. He found it very scary while his son had a lot of fun. He asked his son, “weren’t you scared?” and his son replied with childlike honesty, “Because you did, Dad.” So the little guy trusted him[9]!


Likewise, Jesus knew he was loved by his Father and was therefore able to trust him through the pain. Our relationship to the Father is a “trusting response to known love.” So in this chaotic world full of natural disasters, plane crashes, child molesters etc., the author does not try to force himself to say all is well, but that “Jesus trusted his Abba, and I will also trust in the God I know to be good.[10] 


The pain is still real, but it becomes bearable. We can then, in time, begin to move on. And we can begin to see beyond the suffering and look toward the widespread mercy that surrounds us. A lecturer to a group of businessman displayed a sheet of white paper in which was one blot. He asked what they saw. All answered “a blot.” There is an ingratitude in human nature by which we notice the black disfigurement and forget the widespread mercy[11]. The author uses the story of a little girl who was opening her presents at a birthday party: she especially wanted a certain gift that she did not get. One by one she opened each present and everyone watched her snub her nose and push each package aside. It was a startling example of ingratitude[12].


The author’s son got on a scary amusement-park ride that he should have been frightened of, but instead he smiled the entire time. Why? Because of who was on the ride with him: the one who fed him clothed him, bathed him, prayed with him, taken care of him when he was sick and provided everything he ever needed. Likewise is our God. The key is to remember who is riding with us. The least we can do is enjoy the ride[13].


Reflections:


A “cup” is that aspect of our life that makes it difficult for us to trust God[14]. I have several “cups” in my own life, one of the most significant one being the passing away of my father in 2013 from complications associated with a heart attack.


It was a time when all things seemed to have gone well, my father just received his Australian Permanent Residency which I paid a pretty hefty sum for through the parent migrations scheme and was looking forward to living in Sydney. I received an emergency call that my father had just been admitted into the hospital with a heart attack in Taiwan. My church pastors interceded for him and I immediately flew overseas. All seemed to have gone smoothly in hospital and he was discharged. On the day of discharge I decided to visit a local church. My father offered to accompany me but he initially refused to go in. I told him it’s just a short five minute look so he came in as well. The head pastor happened to be in there and lead my father to do the prayer to accept Jesus. Two days later as I was in transit flying back to Sydney, I received news that my father had suddenly passed away in front of my mother at home! Initially I did not understand how this could happen as I had faith, the church prayed for him, and many middle aged men walks out of a heart attack pretty fine for many years.


I tend to be quite honest to God and did not pretend that everything was fine as some Christians do (some can be in denial of reality, distracting themselves by singing a few worship songs instead of facing it, and mistakenly think that is faith). My emotional garbage can exploded and I realised I had been suppressing many of my emotions into my subconsciousness for most of my life. The good thing was that my faith gave me resilience and I still trusted God[15]. However, this event made me revaluate my relationship with my father and realise the shallowness of it. My father had been a stoic person who either suppressed his emotions into his subconsciousness or simply refused to share his thoughts. Our communications tended to be task-orientated. It was a pity I never truly gotten to know him as not only did he not let others know him, but I did not give him the time and patience needed to establish a deeper relationship either. I did not look out for the nonverbal communications. This event made me slow my pace down and treasure my interpersonal relationships more. This event shifted my life direction: my focus started shifting onto building relationships, especially the relationship with my mother, which subsequently led to her faith in Christ and baptism.


Bibliography:


Smith, James Bryan. The Good and Beautiful God. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 2010.






[1] James Bryan Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 2010): 57.


[2] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 58.


[3] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 60.


[4] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 60.


[5] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 61.


[6] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 62.


[7] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 63.


[8] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 64.


[9] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 55-56.


[10] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 65.


[11] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 67.


[12] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 68.


[13] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 69.


[14] James Bryan Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 2010): 64-65.


[15] Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 65.

No comments:

Post a Comment