Monday 7 October 2019

Community



Consider how your life story fits into and contributes toward the building of community in your sphere of influence. Remember your individual story fits into God’s larger story, the metanarrative - the overarching story of humankind. For Christians, this metanarrative is the biblical narrative of salvation history - creation, fall, redemption and finally, new creation.

The first thing that popped into my mind when I hear the word “community” is Eastwood. This is the place I spend the majority of my time in, because I am working as a GP there six days a week!

However, I am going to focus this journal entry on the Christian community. It was around 2013 when I came to realise that one can be extremely involved and devoted to a church without actually building deep interpersonal relationships. One can be doing heaps of “discipleship” courses without much discipleship happening. I had grown up task-orientated and goal-orientated because all the role models around me were like that. The church environment I was in was also task-orientated and goal-orientated. Church co-workers were given spreadsheets with tick boxes asking us to tick off the number of times we prayed and studied the bible during the week. Each church co-worker got assigned a few people who we had to regularly talk to and follow up on, and there was a tick box for that too. Although the environment drove us to do certain things, once I got out of that environment, I did not feel a desire to do these things spontaneously. I’m not saying that there is anything wrong with tick boxes to help us get organised. But some people (including me) may be ticking off these boxes without a genuine care for people and get a false sense of security that they are doing something for God whenever they ticked these boxes. There were a few deep interpersonal relationships formed from that environment which continued until today, but the proportion is very small when I take into account how many people I had fellowship with during my time there.

In 2016, I changed church in order to do my field education at a Baptist church. This church is great, but I did not have the guts or the energy to become very involved with the people in this church.

Another example of a Christian community experience was the short medical mission trip I went on this year with Care Ministries International (CMI). Teamwork happened in a pretty amazing fashion. I felt as though I had gone back into the New Testament era where the community of Christ lived together in love. During this trip, I felt a bit closer to where God wants me to be. There is also a sense of “inheritance” during this trip. The previous mission trips to Cambodia organised by CMI comprised of very experienced doctors and dentists around retirement age. This time, the doctors and dentists are mostly under 35, and including several “parent and child” pairings. More on the trip in the following link:

Now, I am in a transitional period. My husband and I go to different churches. Chris is certain that he wants to stay in his church, which meant I am the one who has to make the switch. His church seems like a great church, and many brothers and sisters there have helped us out in our wedding. Rick Warren said, “We are created for community. You are called to belong, not just believe.” May the hand of God lead the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment