Saturday 28 April 2018

A fiery week in Taiwan




21April Saturday evening

Be still, be still
Feel like the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem in the book of Nehemiah! Building the walls at the same time as carrying weapons in preparation to ward off enemies! Had to take a week off work to fly back to Taiwan during the busiest part of my semester at Morling College (happened to sit at the place where the recent tragedy of the women sucked out of the plane was sitting)... Coincidentally, reading Romans 8 for the assignment, on the pains of #childbirth!
Need to stay focused on the kingdom that cannot be shaken!

22April Sunday

Around 5am, the plane landed safely in Taoyuan Taiwan Airport. A passenger in the same cabin had been snoring throughout the trip, shaking violently as he snored. He was so noisy that everyone stared at him because no one could fall asleep due to this noise. Even the air host tried waking him but he only briefly opened his eyes and then snored again. I don’t know if this person has a physical problem (ie. Very obstructed airways) or psychiatric problem.

As soon as the plane landed, I went off to a CPD activity in Taiwan (Don’t want to lose my Taiwanese Family Medicine licence). Although the teaching lasted for a whole day which was exhausting, it is very helpful clinically.

The reason why I've made the trip is to visit my aunt, who has terminal cancer. She was already diagnosed with end stage terminal cancer in July 2016. Although no one “formally” spread the gospel to her, she called upon God’s name during the treatment in 2016, and after three months the tumours became undetectable by MRI. I took her through the prayer to accept Jesus as her savior, but she didn’t feel like going to church afterwards. In actual fact, her treating doctor was already very amazed that she could reach “remission”. However, cancer that is undetectable by MRI doesn’t mean “cured cancer”. It’s just that the cancer cells are too small to be detected. So the treating doctor still didn’t think she’d live beyond a year after treatment. However, this was not revealed to my aunt, as people who knew her well feared that if she lose hope, she’d go into depression and commit suicide. On 8April, my aunt was admitted into the hospital with a major bleed. Two days later, it was discovered that the cancer had spread all over her liver and lungs. From these information, I speculate that she will not last more than a few weeks if there is no supernatural intervention, because there are so many acutely fatal conditions: nonstop haemorrhage, fatal loss of liver function or being unable to breathe are all things that can happen to her anytime. To get out of the hospital alive will be a miracle! In this horrendous situation, I wondered what will happen to her faith. Then I heard the news that she still replied “Christian” when the nurse asked her what her religion is.

At night, I visited my aunt and saw that she was extremely frail. She had just begun bleeding nonstop again and needed another blood transfusion.

23April Monday

My aunt requires a carer 24/7, but a professional carer hasn’t been hired yet, because we do not know which direction she is heading towards. My mom and my uncle in law both snore, and my aunt don’t have children, so she wants someone who doesn’t snore to stay with her at night. My 3rd aunt and I are the only suitable candidates! So this week I had to take turns with my 3rd aunt to sleep in the hospital. A cystoscopy was done today, and the urologist sealed the vessel that had been bleeding profusely. However, my aunt became so weak from the bleeding that she required help to go to the toilet, and she had to wake up every hour to go to the toilet! So I didn’t get to sleep! Caring for a sick person in the hospital is very exhausting.

24April Tuesday

The essay on “the relationship between Israel and the nations in the Pentateuch” had been marked.
I’ve never thought of the Jews as any better than the people of any other nations. I had a few Jewish classmates in medical school, and I didn’t think they are any special. Felt like this before, and still feel the same right now. Strangely enough, God has placed a kind of burden in my heart for Israel, because whenever I started interceding for this nation, I shed tears easily and have a strong desire to see the revival of that land.

The relatives only started coming to the hospital around noon, so I couldn’t get home until the afternoon. I simply collapsed on the bed and slept all afternoon. Then I continued to write up my essay assignments for Morling College. Although I’ve applied for 1 week extension for both essays, I still hope to finish the essays on time, because the later I finish, the more it will eat into the time I’ve got to prepare for the final exams.

25April Wednesday

Today, I started writing up the paragraph on “cruciform power” for my essay assignment. In the afternoon, I went to Dr Eileen Lin for a retainer follow up. I usually don’t wear the retainers during the day time because it impacts on my speech when I talk to patients. However, there is a tiny gap between two teeth. Dr Lin said she can see the retainer still has power to move the teeth, but I may need to wear the retainer both day and night for approximately three weeks before the gap can close. This reminds me that the Pentecost is coming up in approximately three weeks, might as well wear it continuously until then! Then I went to the Elim book shop and joined a revivalist prayer meeting/conference in the prayer centre next to the bookshop.

Honestly speaking, I found the people in the prayer centre to be pretty crazy. However, sometimes things don’t have to make sense when we are being led by the Spirit. If everything had to make sense, then Abraham wouldn’t have been able to sacrifice Isaac: God had promised that a great nation will come from the line of Isaac, so if Isaac is gone, how can the great nation come about?

The topic of the prayer meeting is on “the anointing of Elijah: the power to call down fire”. The speaker from New York, Donald Lee, kept yelling “fire fire fire” and told us God does not like “lukewarm”. He said people may think he's nuts, but he didn't came to Taiwan to make friends. He came to do what God wanted him to do. He then talked about two revivals recorded in the bible. Acts 2: At the Pentecost, flames of fire came upon the disciples. Fear was burned up. 3000 souls saved! For revival, God wants people of fire! Elijah, 1Kings 18: Elijah was praying furious focused prayer for 3.5 years. God gave him the power to call down fire! The God who answers by fire is the true God! Are you asking for the fire?
He also talked about: 2King 1:10 the fire burnt the enemies of Elijah up! The fire of God can overcome your enemies! Jesus in Revelation was a man of fire! He also tells us how important it is for us to have “fire in our bones”! 2King 13:21 Elisha died a year already and they threw a dead man info Elisha’s tomb and the dead man came alive by the power of the “fire in the bones”! 
We prayed continuously for about two hours, which was very exhausting for me. During the meeting there was a song called “the sun above the cloud”, which I felt very touched by.

At night, I went to sleep in the hospital. My aunt became stronger and I didn’t have to help her as much during the night.

26April Thursday

I continued to do my assignment, and started writing up the paragraph on “cruciform hope”. This reminded me that the prayer evening for this evening will be on “the valley of dry bones”. However, I was too exhausted and didn’t go. Furthermore, I had already felt compelled to pray in Hebrew on 15April using Ezekiel 37 and done it that day.

My aunt’s treating doctor carried the medicine ipilimumab with him during his ward round. This medicine is supposed to be given into the vein, but the doctor (who’s an authority in gynaecological cancers) bluntly told us that all his patients who were given this medicine died a day after treatment. "Either the cancer dies, or you die." Then he said he had a relative who had it intramuscularly and lived for approximately six months. He asked my aunt whether she wants IV or IM, and my aunt replied “IM of course”! He jabbed her with that medicine straight after her reply!

Asked some people from church to intercede for my aunt, and she went through the day uneventfully. Out of curiosity I start looked at the Hebrew calendar (I didn't take much notice of the Hebrew calendar before but lately there happened to be several coincidences which caught my eyes). If you look at the Jewish historical events, the month of Iyar's got the longest list out of all the Hebrew calendar months. The Proclamation of the State of Israel, conquering of Jerusalem during the Six Day War both happened on the month of Iyar.
I saw that it was 7 Iyar during sundown of 21April, the evening I went on the plane and kept thinking about the walls of Jerusalem and Nehemiah. Coincidentally, 7 Iyar (498 BCE) was when Jerusalem's rebuilt walls are dedicated, nearly 88 years after their destruction by Nebuchadnezzar. I also saw that it was 11 Iyar on the fiery and powerful sundown of 25April. Coincidentally, on 11 Iyar (1948) - Battle at Degania - It was the first Israeli victory of War of Independence! After observing the Hebrew calendar carefully this year, I found that there had been many timings on the land of Taiwan which aligned with the timings of Israel’s history. In the evening, an intercessor told me that one needs to pray more than one hour before strong powers can arise out of the prayer.

27April Friday

Went a long way today, to visit my dad and my paternal grandma’s graves. Then went for a haircut and spa in Beitou. Strangely enough, the pipes in our spa exploded, and we had to get the apartment manager to fix it quickly or else it will flood. Also received the good news that my aunt has been discharged from the hospital!! However, caution is needed. The hospital discharges people who don’t need drips or transfusions, and have stable vital signs. This doesn’t mean that everything is fine after leaving the hospital. Praying that she can have gratitude towards God and not take everything for granted.

28April Saturday

Finally, I can breathe and have rest today. Prayed for more than one hour in the morning. Usually when I am in Australia, I knew in my head and heart that I need to pray fierce focused prayers, but my body could not do it. It is not unlike Jesus’ disciples in Gethsemane. However, this time the situation changed as soon as I stepped into my home land, which is in a fierce spiritual warfare. I had to move my flesh, because there is no other choice but to fight this spiritual warfare.

I was listening to some worship songs from Israel as I was praying. I felt the spiritual warfare on the land of Taiwan is as fierce and critical as the Six Day War. When the national anthem “Hatikva” (hope) started playing, tears started falling down my cheeks again. When the playlist started playing the advertisement clip on the “Pentecost conference in Jerusalem”, I felt this fierce warfare will continue until the Pentecost. This is not to say that we don’t need to pray fiercely usually of course, but there is just something quite unusual about this month especially. And I will need to keep praying that my aunt’s heart will be softened enough that she may visit the church or accept church visitors, and maybe even get baptized. Hope to see her again in July.


Tonight coincides with the “second Passover” on the 14Iyar. This is a fast-moving week where I felt like I was blown into Taiwan by a fierce tornado and blown out of Taiwan again. Didn’t spend enough quality time with God during the “first Passover”. Hope the fire will not be vanquished as soon as I get back to Australia.


No comments:

Post a Comment