Monday 7 March 2016

By grace, Dr/Pastor Gordon Lee

By grace

Speaker: Dr/Pastor Gordon Lee (Hillsong elder/Chinese Extension Services pastor/Principal of Dr Gordon Lee Surgery and full time General Practitioner)


Introduction:
Unmerited favour from God.
Grace is being blessed when we don’t deserve it and Mercy is doing away the punishment we deserve.

Grace vs works
“And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.”
Romans 11:6 NIV
I was a blasphemer, immoral; arrogant; nasty and definitely not because of all these I was saved.
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—”
Ephesians 2:8 NIV
Without this gift of Jesus, I probably wrecked my marriage, business, relationship with my children and friends. All I did when I was 25 was saying a prayer if Jesus were God, I will commit my life to Him. Immediately, Jesus opened a new way of life- peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, not giving me immediately what I was looking for at the time-purpose of life, but the immense presence and love of Jesus and then His purpose for me started to unfold. Faith in Jesus is not a magic wand to get what we want but the personal relationship with Jesus that surpass anything else.

Source of grace: Only Jesus
“But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many!”
Romans 5:15 NIV

“and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.”
Romans 3:24 NIV
Mercy of God demonstrated. The guilty became not guilty.

Rich inheritance

1.       “so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.” Titus 3:7 NIV
Heirs- God’s sons and daughters; inherit everything that God has; royal family. Give us identity when we have no identity-my inferiority. Give me a status when I had none. That’s why apostle Paul was so confident to say I am what I am….

2.        “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.”
1 Corinthians 15:10 NIV
Empowering, persevere, patience-all the fruits of the Spirit at work. Because Jesus said when I go back to the Father, I will give you a helper, the Holy Spirit.

3.       Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given.” John 1:16 NIV
Unlimited resources and grace. Run the race God wants you to and the back up is unlimited.
I started with leading a cell group, then Asian ministry, then Chinese service. As you step up, another level of grace is available to you.

4.       “With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all” Acts 4:33
Supernatural operates through us.

5.        “We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith;” Romans 12:6 NIV
You are gifted, don’t tell me you are not gifted. You may not have discovered it yet, but as you take the first step, God is right there to show you your gift. We are saved and called to serve. God does not call us to intellectual exercise over His Word, but to serve others with our gifts.

6.       “He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,”2 Timothy 1:9
When we know we are so loved by God, we will naturally start to do things that please Him.
Holy life is not a perfect life, but a life lean on God, and a teachable heart.

7.       “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV
So often we think we are no good-this verse is for you so that no one can boast-His power will be outstanding in your weakness.

Who can receive this grace?

“Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham’s offspring—not only to those who are of the law but also to those who have the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all.”
Romans 4:16 NIV


Our response to this grace

1.       Surely you have heard about the administration of God’s grace that was given to me for you, Ephesians 3:2 NIV
Administration for others

2.       “For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.” Romans 6:14 NIV
The most powerful force is love. Because we love someone, we will do everything for the person. How much you do for a person depends on how much you love that person. The more I love Jesus, the less I will sin.

3.       “Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” Colossians 4:6 NIV
Out of the heart the mouth speaks. When I heart is melted by grace, our words will be full of grace-compassion, empathy; forgiveness; encouragement, trust; patience;

4.       “Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Hebrews 4:16 NIV
Pray big prayers.

5.       “From Attalia they sailed back to Antioch, where they had been committed to the grace of God for the work they had now completed.” Acts 14:26 NIV
Whatever we do, we committed our work to the grace of God.

6.       “Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.”1 Peter 4:10 NIV
Are you gifted? Use it for others.
You think you are not gifted? Still serve others, then your gift will surface.

7.       But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.”2 Peter 3:18 NIV
Need to grow in grace, trust God for more and more things and expand your territory and influence.

3 Questions for discussion in cell group:

1.       Share 1 example of your experience of grace in your Christian walk.
2.       What is 1 thing you are planning to do that is out of your own depth?

3.       What is your practical response to the grace of God from this day onward?

No comments:

Post a Comment