Sunday 21 July 2019

The Word and the Spirit joined




Recent readings:

Since finishing up my MDiv, I haven’t been reading as much. These are the two books I’ve been reading recently.

One is a book on Revelations. I was originally assigned to do a sermon on Rev19:6-9 in September, but it is too close to my wedding, so the church assigned someone else subsequently. However, I continued to read the book anyways.

Another one is a book I picked up from the “second-hand” book sell outside Morling library several years ago by Smith Wigglesworth. I was listening to a talk by Bill Johnson a few days ago and heard him mention Smith Wigglesworth, which made me remember this book I bought several years ago. Some of Wigglesworth’s prophecies about end time revivals were quite interesting. For example:

The Word and the Spirit joined:
“When the new church phase is on the wane, there will be evidence in the churches of something that has not been seen before: a coming together of those with an emphasis on the word and those with an emphasis on the Spirit. When the word and the Spirit come together, there will be the biggest move of the Holy Spirit that the nation, and indeed, the world has ever seen. It will mark the beginning of a revival that will eclipse anything that has been witnessed within these shores, even the Wesleyan and Welsh revivals of former years...”

And some people even claim that he had made a certain prophecy about Australia (Barry Chant made a detailed investigation into this and didn't really have a conclusion about the authenticity):

Even though none of these prophecies are anything central (as Christ is the centre), it is quite interesting. The joining of the Word and the Spirit seems common-sense: that is what should normally happen in the life of a Christian (and sometimes I just don't understand the bickering between some charismatics and evangelicals... dialogues are more useful than criticisms... God is sovereign and works in many mysterious ways: no one can ever claim to know "complete theology").

No comments:

Post a Comment