Sunday 30 July 2017

what is missions? who are missionaries?


Last week, I felt as if there’s a calling summarised by three words: “doctor, missions, holistic care”. However, work was particularly exhausting last Saturday, and an idea suddenly popped into my head on Monday: “quit your job, finish off your studies at Morling ASAP, and go abroad to do whatever you’re being called to do.” I wasn’t sure where that idea came from.

This week, Keith, the director of field education, asked me “what is missions to you?”
I found it hard to define the term these days.
This term can be defined very broadly or very narrowly. Broadly speaking, Christians are all missionaries (called to be missional) because we are all commanded to make disciples of all nations. Narrowly speaking, it can mean vocational missionaries who go abroad to spread the gospel to unreached people groups.
Keith also asked me whether there’s a calling for me to go into cross-cultural missions. I responded saying it is hard for me to define what is “cross-cultural” for me, because I grew up as a 3+culture kid.

Then the week ended without any signs of confirmation supporting the idea… In fact, some changes started happening that confirmed that I am to remain in status quo (part-time studies at Morling, full-time work in the clinic still). So it looks like the idea had popped into my head due to fatigue. There are some ideas which might seem Godly in the first instance, but you can’t force your way through when God hasn’t opened the doors yet. There are some ideas which might seem Godly in the first instance, but you can’t force your way through when God hasn’t opened the doors yet (a bit like how Saul offered the sacrifice before Samuel's arrival).

This month is “missions month” for CABC-WR, so there had been many sharings by missionaries. During the sharing on Saturday evening, Rev Lau told us, “I am pleased to see so many people tonight, in the past the number of people attending this type of event can be counted with one hand!” I looked around and counted approximately 36 people. I am sure special things are happening in this church. Furthermore, an application for membership at CABC-WR accidentally got sent to me by the English congregation pastor! (“Accidentally” because the email was meant to be for someone else.) To do missions, having support from a “sending church” (or “home church”) is critical… so this is another thing to put into my prayers.

The face of missions is rapidly changing these days. With globalisation, there are great diasporas happening. Cross-cultural opportunities are everywhere. The Chinese is one large people group in diaspora. According to Campus Crusade’s estimations, there are approximately 150,000 Chinese overseas students in Australia in 2017. What will happen to the overseas students when they graduate? Many end up returning to their home countries. Will they encounter Christ and bring the gospel back to their homes? Yet, Campus Crusade say they have very few workers for outreach to the Chinese overseas students in Sydney and Brisbane, and none in Melbourne!

Here are some examples of opportunities to do missions:
Campus Crusade Australia:
OMF:
Gospel Operation International:

So, what is a missionary?

Something to really think and pray about.

No comments:

Post a Comment