Thursday 14 May 2015

Weekly reflection on “The Good and Beautiful God” Chapter 8 God Transforms


Notes from the book:

2Corinthians 5:17 says, “If anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new!” The author then gives the analogy, “You know how a butterfly becomes a butterfly? The butterfly was once a caterpillar, a worm. It could only crawl, and could not fly. But it goes into a cocoon, a chrysalis, in which the root word, appropriate, is ‘Christ.’ And it emerges a butterfly, completely transformed, a new creation! The old has passed, the new has arrived! It was once weighed down by gravity; now it can fly. Christians were once under the reign of sin, but now we can live in freedom.”[1] In response to this analogy, the author’s friend joked, “When I hear a Christian say, ‘I’m just a sinner saved by grace,’ I want to say, ‘That makes as much sense as a butterfly saying, “I’m just a worm with wings.”’” In Christ we have been raised up with Jesus to new life. We have been given a new identity, one in which Christ dwells. We have received the indwelling Holy Spirit.[2]

However, even though we have become new people spiritually, we still live in our old self’s body, which contains the remnants of sin. We still have our old narratives, our old memories and our old habits. We still live in a world that stands diametrically opposed to the truth of God. That’s is why we struggle with sin even after we’re regenerated.[3] Paul writes in Galatians 5:17 that “What the flesh desires is opposed to the Spirit, and what the Spirit desires is opposed to the flesh; for these are opposed to each other, to prevent you from doing what you want.” The battle between the flesh and Spirit does not end when we come up from the waters of baptism – in fact, that is precisely when it begins.[4]

You are one in whom Christ dwells. Your glory is not in what you do, but in who you are. You are meant to house the fullness of God. Knowing that this is our true identity is the secret to walking in holiness.[5] Furthermore, it is in our weakness that God’s power is revealed. The broken feel they have nothing to offer; legalists feel their perfection is what makes them valuable. Both are wrong. We minister out of our weakness. We heal others through our vulnerability because that is where Christ shines most brightly. Henri Nouwen writes: “The question is not: How many people take you seriously? How much are you going to accomplish? Can you show some results? But: Are you in love with Jesus?... In our world of loneliness and despair, there is an enormous need for men and women who know the heart of God; a heart that forgives, cares, reaches out and wants to heal.”[6]

Reflections:

The author gives us this amazing paradox: “We minister out of our brokenness. We heal others through our vulnerability because that is where Christ shines most brightly.”[7]

In my own life I find this to be true. It is hard for me to understand the pain of others unless I have been through the same pains, and it is not convincing for me to tell others what to do when I haven’t experienced the same things as they did. Furthermore, I find it harder to turn to God when everything is smooth sailing. I cry out to God for help when I realise my limitations and vulnerability. For example, a previous relationship breakup many years ago produced such brokenness that there was nowhere to turn but to God. As a result I experienced a powerful encounter with God which healed my wounds and built my character. Having walked through such a trial, I can better empathise and help others who are going through this type of trial. In fact, this triggered a rapid spiritual growth in me that could not have happened if I had not encountered such trial. I developed increasing self-insight and gradually I see my own problems instead of placing blame on others. It pushed me forward and gradually gave me the courage I need to face my own problems and take ownership over these problems, soaring up to a higher level.

(An old song which I like very much)

Bibliography:

Smith, James Bryan.The Good and Beautiful God. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 2010.

Wang, Ying-fan Yvonne. Dr Yvonne Wang’s Blabberings. Last modified May 9, 2015. http://dryvonnewang.blogspot.com.au.




[1]James Bryan Smith, The Good and Beautiful God,(London: Hodder and Stoughton, 2010): 155.
[2]Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 156.
[3]Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 156.
[4]Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 157.
[5]Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 162.
[6]Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, 163.
[7]James Bryan Smith, The Good and Beautiful God, (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 2010): 163.

No comments:

Post a Comment